Participating in essential research
Dr Stanford is well trained in research; starting his career with a laboratory based higher degree (PhD) and is currently Australian principal investigator for an international clinical trial in spinal cord injury. His laboratory work included bone graft substitute materials, spinal screw analysis, graft contamination and bio-resorbable bone anchors.
Spinal cord injury
Prince of Wales Hospital has one of the two spinal cord injury units in NSW and Dr Stanford has developed a passion for the management of this devastating injury. He has publications on suicide, early assessment and the complications of spinal cord injury.
Dr Stanford is proud to lead a team at POWH in a trial of early treatment of acute spinal cord injury with a drug designed to enhance neurological recovery. He is the Australian Principal Investigator for an international project designed by Prof Michael Fehlings in Toronto, Canada, with overseas sponsorship. Currently there are five Australian sites participating in the trial of 23 worldwide and we lead the way in enrolment numbers internationally.
Australian and New Zealand National Hip Fracture Registry
Dr Stanford is on the steering committee that oversees a national database of hip fracture in the elderly with the aim of improving outcomes for this vulnerable group of people. He regularly contributes to data collection for the registry at POWH.
PhD thesis with UNSW:
‘Use of a composite of poly-lactic acid and hydroxyapatite as a possible bone conducting substance for promotion of healing in bone defects.’
Peer reviewed publications:
- Maharaj MM, Stanford RE, Lee BB, Mobbs RJ, Marial O, Schiller M, Toson B. The ffects of early or direct admission to a specialised spinal injury unit on outcomes after acute traumatic spinal cord injury. Spinal Cord. 2017 May;55(5):518-524. doi: 10.1038/sc.2016.117. Epub 2016 Aug 2. PubMed PMID: 27481092.
- Sharwood LN, Stanford R, Middleton JW, Burns B, Joseph A, Flower O, Rigby O, Ball J, Dhaliwal S. Improving care standards for patients with spinal trauma combining a modified e-Delphi process and stakeholder interviews: a study protocol. BMJ Open. 2017 Jan 19;7(1):e012377. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012377. PubMed PMID: 28104707; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5253580.
- Mitchell RJ, Stanford R, McVeigh C, Bell D, Close JC. Incidence, circumstances, treatment and outcome of high-level cervical spinal fracture without associated spinal cord injury in New South Wales, Australia over a 12 year period. Injury. 2014 Jan;45(1):217-22. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2013.02.024. Epub 2013 Apr 6. PubMed PMID: 23570702.
- Chau AM, Xu LL, van der Rijt R, Wong JH, Gragnaniello C, Stanford RE, Mobbs RJ. Reconstruction versus no reconstruction of iliac crest defects following harvest for spinal fusion: a systematic review: A review. J Neurosurg Spine. 2012 Jun;16(6):565-72. doi: 10.3171/2012.3.SPINE11979. Epub 2012 Apr 13. Review. PubMed PMID: 22500584.
- Chow J, Chen K, Sen R, Stanford R, Lowe S. Cauda equina syndrome post-caesarean section. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2008 Apr;48(2):218-20. doi: 10.1111/j.1479-828X.2008.00836.x. PubMed PMID: 18366499.
- Stanford RE, Soden R, Bartrop R, Mikk M, Taylor TK. Spinal cord and related injuries after attempted suicide: psychiatric diagnosis and long-term follow-up. Spinal Cord. 2007 Jun;45(6):437-43. Epub 2007 Mar 6. PubMed PMID: 17339888.
- Stanford RE, Loefler AH, Stanford PM, Walsh WR. Multiaxial pedicle screw designs: static and dynamic mechanical testing. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2004 Feb 15;29(4):367-75. PubMed PMID: 15094532.
- Walsh WR, Loefler A, Nicklin S, Arm D, Stanford RE, Yu Y, Harris R, Gillies RM. Spinal fusion using an autologous growth factor gel and a porous resorbable ceramic. Eur Spine J. 2004 Jul;13(4):359-66. Epub 2004 Mar 18. PubMed PMID: 15034772; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3468045.
- Stanford RE, Harrison J, Goldberg J, Sonnabend DH, Alvis M, Walsh WR. A novel, resorbable suture anchor: pullout strength from the human cadaver greater J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2001 May-Jun;10(3):286-91. PubMed PMID: 11408913.
- Stanford RE, Kohan L. Migration of a Knowle’s pin from the neck of the femur to the knee joint. Orthopedics. 2000 Mar;23(3):281-2. PubMed PMID: 10741372.
- Stanford R, Solomon M, Levick M, Kohan L, Bell S. Sterilization of contaminated bone-tendon autografts using 10% povidone-iodine solution. Orthopedics. 1999 Jun;22(6):601-4. PubMed PMID: 10386802.